A community is only as strong as the support it provides in a time of need. As you look around the Capital Electric Cooperative (CEC) service area, you see people helping others all the time. One way your cooperative gets involved is by providing grants to people and organizations to make the community stronger.
Operation Round-Up is a program in which CEC members voluntarily choose to round up their monthly utility bills and donate their pennies to a charitable trust. The money pools and accumulates, and an elected board of five co-op members reviews grant applications submitted by local people and organizations to determine grant worthiness.
Charitable Trust Board Members Jim McCullough, Barb Handy-Marchello, LeAna Hug, Roberta Thorsen and Kayla Pulvermacher met in August 2020 to review grant applications submitted in the past six months. They awarded a total of $27,200 in grant dollars to 14 worthy recipients. This is a significant total and reflects the commitment you, our member-owners, demonstrate to this program. These grants touch lives and make good things happen in our community.
The following individuals and organizations received assistance from Operation Round-Up:
- Wing resident (house fire)
- Driscoll Betterment Club (shelter improvements)
- Community Action Program (backpacks for kids)
- Dakota Boys and Girls Ranch (new classrooms)
- Farm Rescue (harvest assitance)
- Scottish Rite Speech Therapy (speech therapy for children)
- Charles Hall Youth Services (flooring/washer/dryer)
- Grimsrud Elementary School (playground equipment)
- The Salvation Army (bus pass program)
- Junior Achievement (classroom kits)
- Pride Manchester House (sandbox renovation)
- Bis-Man Mentor Squad (mentor recruiting)
- Missouri Valley Historical Society (security cameras)
- Quilts of Valor (quilts for veterans)
The next application deadline will be January 31, 2021. Any person in the counties of Burleigh and Sheridan may apply to receive an Operation Round-Up grant. To request an application, call CEC at (701) 223-1513 or download the form at www.capitalelec.com. To visit, click on Our Services > Operation Round-Up.